On 08/13/2013 02:25 PM, Bryce W. Harrington wrote:
On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 02:02:59PM -0700, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
On 08/13/13 01:09 PM, Keith Packard wrote:
Present is a noun and a verb (with different pronunciations, no
less). As such, it makes a pretty miserable extension name.

Can you remind me what it actually does?  I see several posts on your
blog describing various features, but didn't see a big picture/introduction
for those who haven't been closely following DRI3000 development.

It basically provides a streamlined path for getting pixels from the DRI
pixmap created by DRI3, to an X drawable that can be processed by the
compositing manager.  If I've understood keith's blog posts properly...

Essentially, it is an in-X way to solve the redirected direct rendering
problem that Wayland/et al would solve.

Fwiw, if I had a vote I'd say stick with Present, not worth bikeshedding
on.

Agreed. Naming stuff is hard. Often the first thing that comes to mind is as good as anything else. Present seems better than any of the synonyms at least. There's precedent for using the term present for these operations that graphics programmers shouldn't get confused.

As another option: EGL uses the term "Post" to describe surface presentation operations.

PASTE is a pretty cool acronym, but is probably more misleading than any of the other suggestions :-)

Thanks,
-James

> ('mete' does have a nice archaic ring though...)
Bryce

contain
confidential information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or
distribution
is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the
sender by