Hello,

I have been experimenting a bit with plugging and unplugging of graphics devices (using a dummy KMS driver which is udl stripped of the actual hardware poking) and how the X server copes with that. It seems to cope well with a secondary device being removed, but not with the only graphics device in the system disappearing (in that case the hot-pluggable device is not deemed to be a GPU device, and therefore not removable if I understood what is happening correctly).

This is interesting for me because I am looking at putting a KMS driver for the VirtualBox video device into the upstream kernel, but would like to be able to update the driver at run-time, so that we are not stuck with whatever version some guest distribution which is no longer being updated happens to provide. My first idea for handling this was to simulate a device unplug so that the old driver could be removed and the new one added. (Not sure if I am handling the hotplug right in the vboxvideo driver yet of course, but I assume that my dummy driver, which just copies code from udl, does get it right.)

I will take a look at this when I get a chance of course, but I thought I would write to the list before that in case anyone else has thoughts, ideas or fixes (potenially including how I could better handle the driver update).

Regards,

Michael
--
Michael Thayer | VirtualBox engineer
ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG | Werkstr. 24 | D-71384 Weinstadt

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG
Hauptverwaltung: Riesstraße 25, D-80992 München

Handelsregister der Handelskammer Midden-Nederland, Nr. 30143697