On 05/12/16 10:47 AM, Keith Packard wrote:
Emil Velikov <emil.l.veli...@gmail.com> writes:
Then again I'm wondering if linking with pthread, won't lead to some
noticeable perf degradation, as a fair few POSIX functions will now
pthread_mutex_lock/unlock as opposed using the Glibc stub.

The big concern I had years ago when we looked at this was malloc, but
glibc uses arenas to avoid contention, and uncontended mutexes are
pretty cheap these days.

stdio is a disaster, but we don't use that in any critical paths.

I haven't been able to measure any performance impact from this series,
but I've only tested on Linux.

Solaris 10 and later have the real pthread & mutex functions in libc
and dropped the stubs that were in libc in older releases, so we
already use the thread safe versions and I wouldn't expect any
performance problems on Solaris from that change.

--
        -Alan Coopersmith-              alan.coopersm...@oracle.com