Twas brillig at 18:12:09 29.11.2008 UTC+00 when [EMAIL PROTECTED] did gyre and
gimble:

 CG> But that said, there are lots of things in Gnome/KDE that just
 CG> don't work without HAL, so more and more you will need it for
 CG> correct operation.

Quoting the first mail: "if you are not under the gas factory desktops,
gnome/kde"

 CG> Is there any reason you have a problem using hal?

Well, I personally have a problem that it is quite hard to put reference
HAL (and D-Bus!) implementation into the device with 16Mb of RAM,
without any swap and only 64Mb of NAND flash, but that's a completely
different story.