On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 6:18 AM, Joe Smith <stop...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I noticed a discrepancy in the Xorg documentation that's been causing me some
> confusion:
>
> At http://wiki.x.org/wiki/ModularDevelopersGuide:
> When using the build.sh script, it says:
> "If you want to include Mesa/OpenGL support in the X server, you will need
> unpack the Mesa source code and pass the directory of the Mesa sources to the
> build.sh script."
> And you pass the mesa directory like this:
> -m path-to-mesa-sources-for-xserver : full path to Mesa sources
>
> Also, in the build.sh script, building the mesa sources is commented out,
> like this:  #build mesa mesa.
>
> While at http://www.x.org/wiki/Development/git:
> The mesa sources are built before the xserver, and the sources directory is
> *not* passed to the xserver build directives.
>
> So the questions are:
> 1) Does mesa need to be built separately, as demonstrated in the second link?
>  If so, why is it commented out in build.sh?
> 2) Should the --with-mesa-source parameter always be used, and if so, why is
> it not used in the second link?

Mesa should be built before the server, and it's no longer necessary
to use the -m/--with-mesa-source flag. The server will pick up the
installed headers it needs from mesa. The first page is out of date.

I have no idea why it's commented out in build.sh. You can certainly
uncomment it and give it a whirl. Building mesa should be about as
simple as ./configure. Development/git has a little more info about
that.

--
Dan