Hi!

Today I clicked in firefox 3.0.6 (fedora 10 / gnome / yum-updated / amd64 /
2GiB main memory / no swap) on
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datei:Www_Beo_cc.jpg
this URL:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/ff/Www_Beo_cc.jpg

Download took quite long and the box' responsiveness was not as good as
usual... So I clicked the close-window box in the title of the firefox window.
The firefox window disappeared and the process, too. But the box had just 10%
free main memory now (usually 80% r free after a fresh login); Xorg used 1.8GiB
according to ps.

So I installed xrestop, which told me that about 2 pixmaps (20MiB) belong to an
"unknown" process.

Normally it takes a day until the Xorg process (VSZ RSS: 431952 88772 -->
474472 123508) and other processes get too large. Then I log off and in and
everything is OK again.

How can I avoid that logoff/login procedure?

Thx.

Bye
Arne