On 17 Feb 2009, at 18:05, Andy Ritger wrote:

Are the even and odd frames scaled individually before applied to the
resulting surface, or are they applied to the screen, then scaled?

I believe the latter: the content is deinterlaced at the resolution
of the content, and then the progressive frame is scaled to the size
specified by the video player.

The documentation here may be helpful (particularly the data flow diagram):

   ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/vdpau/doxygen/html/index.html

Deinterlacing is done in the VdpVideoMixer, and I expect scaling is done
as part of constructing the VdpOutputSurface.

It may be worth looking at what deinterlacing configuration your video
player is using.  E.g., is it requesting temporal or temporal-spatial
deinterlacing?

Neither, I'm trying to not use deinterlacing in the graphics card.

Is it technically (theoretically) possible to rearrange the order of merging the fields and scaling?

--
Torgeir Veimo
torg...@pobox.com