Hey

You hints are excellent. I will try themout over the
next few days. And yes, I am building from scratch!
BTW, what do you mean by bleeding edge X?
I have no idea what features/modules/components
would constitute a bleeding edge X.

*Bleeding edge* is a term that refers to technology <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technology> that is so new (and thus, presumably, not perfected) that the user is required to risk reductions in stability and productivity in order to use it^[1] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bleeding_edge#cite_note-0> . It also refers to the tendency of the latest technology to be extremely expensive. [wikipedia]

I guess Xi2.0 is such a module :)

cheers, fl0

Cheers,

JD

Florian Lier wrote:
hey jd,

No problem....
I guess "the rt2860 wifi mini-pci" driver won't be affected by building a xserver ^^

"ATI Mobility Radeon 9600" I guess the latest driver from the git works fine (but
you better ask here or google first)

"How do you suggest I install 7.4 (once I build it) - I mean
do I first uninstall my existing X (on which so many packages
depend), and then install 7.4?"

You don't need to replace or uninstall your "old" xserver,
as you might have noticed the script builds the server
here: PREFIX="/opt/gfx-test" which means you can
start the sever like that:

  1.

      rmmod i915 /# assuming you're using Intel/

  2.

      rmmod drm

  3.

      insmod /<path_to_drm_tree_above>//linux-core/drm.ko

  4.

      insmod /<path_to_drm_tree_above>//linux-core/i915.ko

  5.

      export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/gfx-test/lib

  6.

      startx -- /opt/gfx-test/bin/Xorg -verbose /# make sure you have
      a ~/.xinitrc with what you want to run/

If the server works fine you can set the new xorg stack as your default x-server. I won't recommend you setting a "bleeding edge" X as default (btw, it won't startup atm have a look @ xorg tinderbox). I don't know that much about Fedora, but I installed FC10 lately from a live cd which works fine for me...
Do you want to compile it from scratch?

Cheers, Florian

JD wrote:
Hi Florian,
and thank you very much for your response.
I have a Fedora FC7 notebook.  with 2 cruicial drivers
that I had struggled a lot to make  them work; namely,
the rt2860 wifi mini-pci card from Ralink Technology, and
the ATI Mobility Radeon 9600.
The modification that have been made to these drivers in
their latest incarnations, do not work for me.

How do you suggest I install 7.4 (once I build it) - I mean
do I first uninstall my existing X (on which so many packages
depend), and then install 7.4? I am afraid that the dependencies
will be broken, and many if not most graphical packages
will stop working.

Best regards,

JD

Florian Lier wrote:
Hey JD,

there's a little script on the Xorg / git development site.

http://www.x.org/wiki/Development/git

You can copy and paste the script into a myxorgscript.sh (chmod +x it ) You can start building X like that (in console): sh myxorgscript init | build | update

Depending on what distri you're using you'll need a bunch of dependencies.
If you're on Ubuntu I can help you out...

DEPS="\autoconf automake xserver-xorg-dev libdrm-dev build-essential libxxf86vm-dev libxdamage-dev libxfixes-dev libxfixes3 expat libexpat-dev libtool autobook \ libxinerama1 libxinerama-dev libxkbfile-dev libxkbfile1 openssl libssl-dev xkbsel x11-xkb-utils libxfont1 libxfont-dev git-core gawk libxt-dev \ xdebconfigurator autoconf-doc libhal-dev libdbus-1-dev libxcomposite-dev libpng12-dev libsm-dev libxrandr-dev \ libxdamage-dev libxinerama-dev libstartup-notification0-dev libgconf2-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libglu1-mesa-dev libmetacity-dev librsvg2-dev libdbus-1-dev \ libdbus-glib-1-dev libgnome-desktop-dev libgnome-window-settings-dev gitweb curl intltool libxslt1-dev xsltproc libwnck-dev python-dev libX11-xcb-dev \ pyrex-mode python-pyrex x11proto-scrnsaver-dev libxss-dev libprotobuf0 libprotobuf-dev protobuf-compiler gperf xmlto libglut3-dev freeglut3-dev \
freeglut-dev libglu1-mesa-dev libglu1-mesa"

(this is if you want to build compiz too)

I hope this helps.

cheers florian

JD wrote:
Dear Developers of Xorg

I wanted to build the entirety of X 7.4 frm source, but when
I saw that it is made up of individual tarballs, I decided to
write and ask if there is a single tarball of everything,
with a top level configure ...etc to build the whole thing.

I searched the FAQ for a "how to build X" or just "how to build"
but came up empty.

Thanx for any info to show how to build the whole 7.4 X system.

Best Regards,

JD

begin:vcard
fn:Florian Lier
n:Lier;Florian
org:;AG AI | so far
adr:;;;;;;Germany
email;internet:f...@icram.de
title:B. Sc. Informatics
tel;work:University | AG Angewandte Informatik
tel;home:/home/usr
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.icram.de
version:2.1