Dan Nicholson wrote:
On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 4:09 PM, Phil Endecott
<spam_from_x...@chezphil.org> wrote:
I have a Griffin Powermate; it's a USB "knob" that you can use for
scrolling etc.  This morning the computer that it was attached to
died.  I'm now having trouble getting to work with the substitute machine.

(**) Griffin Powermate: always reports core events
(**) Griffin Powermate: Device:
"/dev/input/by-id/usb-Griffin_Technology__Inc._Griffin_PowerMate-event-misc"
(WW) Griffin Powermate: Don't know how to use device
(II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
(EE) PreInit returned NULL for "Griffin Powermate"

So, what does "Don't know how to use device" mean?

This means that the evdev driver didn't recognize it to be either a
pointer, a keyboard or a touchscreen during it's probing routine.
Looking at a photo online, I can't really tell how you'd classify it,
but there could certainly be bugs in the detection logic. If you have
the source, take a look in src/evdev.c:EvdevProbe.

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-input-evdev/tree/src/evdev.c - Right?

This seems like a regression since the previous version of this driver, which was able to manage this device. What can be done?

(BTW the kernel driver is here:
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=blob;f=drivers/input/misc/powermate.c)

Cheers,  Phil.