On 07/28/2010 01:46 AM, Alex Deucher wrote:
On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 6:10 PM, Nikos Chantziaras<rea...@arcor.de>  wrote:
I'm not exactly sure when the problem first occurred, but it's been quite a
while, definitely more than 6 months.  Here's a screenshot of the problem:

http://i25.tinypic.com/2vkxrh3.png

Are you sure you uploaded the right image?  I don't see any bars in that image,

I'm pretty sure I don't have superhuman vision :-P They're there, I can see them quite clearly. Maybe your monitor is too dark or too low contrast?

This is with mplayer using Xv, on standard definition video in fullscreen.
  Note the gree, red and blue color bars at the bottom.  They always appear,
but naturally, they're most visible in dark scenes.  It's not an mplayer bug
it seems, since pausing the video and going out of fullscreen and then back
makes them go away temporarily.  Also, they never appear with AMD's binary
fglrx driver or on non-radeon cards.

The problem, as I mentioned already, is an old one.  Right now, I'm at:

Radeon HD4870
kernel 2.6.35_rc6
xf86-video-ati Git master
Mesa Git master
X server Git master

Does it happen with any other movie players (totem, vlc, etc.)?

Didn't try totem, but it happens with VLC too.

If it
is a driver bug, can you bisect xf86-video-ati to see when the problem
was introduced?

I don't know which version introduced this; I guess I'll have to start trying them all.

One thing I didn't mention is that the problem only appears when the video is being scaled. Watching in windowed mode (1:1 ratio) never triggers it. Only when zooming or going full-screen.