On Fri, 2 Oct 2020, Gene Heskett wrote:

Greetings x-people;

The LinuxCNC people have just brought it up from Debian wheezy to buster
for a base install.

But the security paranoia is going to get someone maimed or killed.

Someone has decreed that the screen blanker must be subject to a new
login before anything can be done about a runaway machine with enough
horsepower at its disposal to kill.

Just to chime in, this is not an X problem per se, but rather the desktop environment.

X does not have a utility to ask for your password - just a way to blank the screen and turn off the monitor.

If you were to prevent X from blanking the screen, then what would likely happen is that it will not go blank, but instead you will see either a screensaver or a password prompt from whatever screen locker your desktop environment is using.

So the issue is really with the desktop environment you are using - there should be a control to disable screenlocker.

I am using KDE on my laptop and it does have it.

My CNC machine is controlled from Jetson nano, and I was able to disable password prompt, but the screensaver does kick in and I have to muck around with monitor control key to turn it back on, as the monitor touchscreen turns off with the monitor.

best

Vladimir Dergachev

I have now been 3 days looking for a way to disable this blanker, trying
several methods by way of xset, only to find 15 minutes later that its
been undone and the blanker kicks in regardless.

So I am proposing that an env variable be named an agreed upon name, and
that its presence totally disables any and ALL screen blanker's
regardless of whose desktop of the day is installed.  We can incorporate
the setting of this, on launching LinuxCNC, and unsetting it when
LinuxCNC is being shut down.

If you agree that safety overrides paranoia, please consider this as part
of the supplied X11 implementations.

In the meantime, since xset seems powerless to disable it, can someone
tell me how, in xfce4, to disable it. Haveing it kick in in 10 minutes,
while the machine is carving a part, and a miss-command does something
wrong that needs to be stopped as quickly as possible, having a locked
screen requiring a login via a swarf covering equipt keyboard is simply
dangerous to both the operator and the machine.  So I'm asking how do I
get rid of it, totally.  We can operate a monitors power switch if we
are done for the day, but we can't tolerate anything getting in the way
of controlling that runaway machine with one keystroke during the day.

Please advise.  And thank you.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
- Louis D. Brandeis