On Mon, 28 Aug 2023, Ahmad Nouralizadeh wrote:

Is it possible to prevent the Xserver from using the iGPU and only use the
discrete GPU. I found no BIOS options for this. Why should the two GPUs work
simultaneously?

Urmm.. BIOS is the wrong place to look for this - if you are trying to alter how Xserver (Xorg) works you should first read documentation for Xorg. (man xorg.conf and so on).

Google searches help too, a useful keyword is "optimus" which was the name of dual gpu configuration when it was first introduced.

I am not giving explicit instructions because I don't know which hardware and OS you are using (you did not describe), and I might not know off the top of my head if your configuration is sufficiently different from mine.

I practically never use discrete card of the Optimus - it produces too much heat and makes laptop fans spin. I did try the discrete card a couple of times playing with CUDA, but the laptop GPU was too underpowered to be of use.

There might be a GUI app, a useful place to look is nvidia-settings, if you have Nvidia card and closed source Nvidia drivers. Alternatively search for information for "noveau" driver (Nvidia card) or amdgpu (AMD card).

best

Vladimir Dergachev