On Mon, 18 Sep 2023, Dave Howorth wrote:

On Fri, 15 Sep 2023 15:02:08 -0700, Michael Sheely wrote:

Hello,

I'm trying to debug an issue with a notification daemon

On the debug thread
https://github.com/dunst-project/dunst/issues/1186#issuecomment-1677737252,
a maintainer suggests that my logs indicate multiple X11 severs are
being spawned.

As far as I know I'm not purposefully starting multiple X11 servers.
I frequently use the machine locally and also ssh in, but I don't
enable x forwarding during ssh.

I'm trying to understand if there is any particular system logs I
should look at in order to get a sense of when an X11 server was
started in order to better understand whether or not multiple X11
servers are being spawned (and if so, I'll aim to understand what is
causing it).

Would anyone happen to have pointers that might be helpful here?

I am not sure which desktop environment you are using, but on some (like KDE) you have an option to login as another user at the screen locker and this creates extra X servers.

I have also seen situations where the same user logged in twice, and this creates problems with configuration.

ssh cannot create X servers, so it has to be local - maybe you are mistaking screen unlock for logging in with a new session.

best

Vladimir Dergachev

You'll probably find logs in /var/log. Specifically /var/log/Xorg*

You might also find the output of

$ systemctl status display-manager helpful.

I'm on Debian, using i3 window manager.

Thank you!
- Michael