hi,

Mark Vojkovich [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote on Wed, 16 May 2001 11:32:20 -0700 (PDT)
> On Wed, 16 May 2001, Peter Ronnquist wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am trying to figure out how to update the screen
> > during vertical retrace. Is this possible with Xfree?
>
>    No.  Not in any portable way.  Only if the client knows
> hardware specifics and runs as root and pokes registers.
>
>    If you are using OpenGL, your OpenGL implementation may
> be able to do buffer swaps synced to the retrace.  Probably
> not though.
>
>                                 Mark.

Sorry to quote a quite old posting.
Just a short question related to the topic above:

Isn't the following fairly portable without OpenGL (at least to
architectures where DGA2 is available)?

[ From README.DGA ]:
void XDGASetViewport(
    Display     *dpy,
    int         screen,
    int         x,
    int         y,
    int         flags
);
[...]
   viewportFlags
        Any of the following may be OR'd together:
        XDGAFlipRetrace
            Indicates that the hardware can switch viewports during
            the vertical retrace.
        XDGAFlipImmediate
            Indicates that the hardware can switch viewports immediately
            without waiting for the vertical retrace.
[...]

I'm using this to get smooth animations with DGA2, and to some extent
it works. As it's not perfect (probably my fault) I'm still interested
in this topic.

thanx,
martin

PS: please CC to my address above, as I'm not subscribed to the Xpert
    list. Thanx.