Hi,

The Gateway 9550 is claimed to have a GeForce2 GO.  It does have an SXGA
display.

I've installed XFree86 4.1.0, and the two nVidia rpms from their site.

I had to rpm -ivh --force the kernel module to get it to modprobe.

I've followed the README to the letter, although I still need to
modprobe NVdriver before I startx. /etc/modules.conf *does* have the
specified alias.

But that's not the symptom I'm dealing with:

When I startx, the display blanks, and then I get a bunch of horizontal
lines on the lower half of the display.  I can't switch (meaningfully)
back to any of the other VTs: my only option is to restart.

I've confirmed that I have the correct resolution on the display
(1280x1024).

Can I get some guidance?

Thanks,

Richard