On Sun, 23 Sep 2001, Geoffrey Leach wrote:

>Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2001 09:29:26 -0700
>From: Geoffrey Leach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Subject: Re: MGA matrox millenium DDC Monitor info: (nil)
>
>Running Xconfigurator produced an XF86Config that worked, but
>left /etc/X11/X linked to XF86_SVGA. Changing the link back to
>XFree86 resulted in my "problem" XF86Config working.  So, was
>the link bad from the outset?  Not according to the console
>output, but ...

XF86Config is for XFree86 3.3.6
XF86Config-4 is for XFree86 4.x

By default, unless you tell it otherwise, Xconfigurator uses 4.x
or 3.3.6 depending on a given card's status in the "Cards" file.
When using 4.x server, Xconfigurator points the symlink to that
server, when using a 3.3.6 server, it points it to the correct
3.3.6 server.

To force using 3.3.6, use "Xconfigurator --preferxf3" or to force
using a 4.x server use "Xconfigurator --preferxf4".  Again, all
symlinks are dealt with properly.

The only situation where the links will not get set up properly
is if someone has manually by hand changed a link in some way
which is incompatible with the proper method used by
Xconfigurator.

Also, /usr/X11R6/bin/X should be a symlink pointing to Xwrapper

Hope this helps.

IRC:  #redhat-xfree86 on irc.openprojects.org