On Thu, 18 Oct 2001, David E. Young wrote:

> Greetings. Redhat Linux 7.1, XFree86 4.0.3, NVidia TNT2 (16mb) driving a
> ViewSonic 17PS. DPMS isn't working, despite being configured to do so.
> It worked fine when I was running my old Mach64 and it also worked fine
> when I was using the TNT2 on Windows 2000. I believe my BIOS is properly
> configured; Monitor Off Method is "DPMS".

   This is the "nv" driver you are using?  The "nv" driver offloads
all power mangement issues to the core vgaHWDPMS code in XFree86.
If properly configured (I don't know what the correct XF86Config
syntax is now-a-days) it should offer all that the core code
can, which is probably just On and Off.  I don't think there's
a basic VGA way to do Standby or Suspend.

   It should work fine in NVIDIA's binary drivers though.  I'll
put real power management for the "nv" driver (Standby, Suspend)
on my todo list.

                        Mark.