>I work under X11R6 server with XFree86 4.1.0, using XLib and XToolkit
graphic libraries.
>My program must capture-process-display every frame captured from a video
source, at the maximum frame >rate.
>All done without palette transformations.

>Who knows the fastest way to put a buffer, containing grabbed RGB frame,
onto a X window?
>Or alternatively, overlaying what's present on display?

I am strugling the same problem for last two weeks (although I have a few
serious restrictions)

but, if you have only one camera to grab from and one window to output to
then just use video4linux to run an overlay, the only drawback is that you
will have to grab in yuv and not rgb, but I suppose you can

if it is not the case, then you suffer just like me (see my last posting :)

just for now try XShmCreateImage/XShmPutImage