I'm having problems with pasting into an XTerm window.  Neither the
middle mouse button nor the key combo SHIFT+Insert pastes has an
apparent effect in an XTerm window.

I can't tell if there is a problem in my environment (either an
incomplete XFree86 installation or X configuration problem) or a bug in
some piece of the X software.

Here's what I know:

1. I CAN copy and paste in a RXVT window and in Emacs.

2. Copy and paste fails in an XTerm window.  However, I can paste a
selection from an XTerm window into an RXVT window or into Emacs.

3. My co-worker has an XFree86 environment on OS X 10.1 in which copying

and pasting in an XTerm works.  Using his xterm binary, my copy and
paste still fails.

4. Other middle-mouse functions (clicking on scrollbars, control+btn2
for VT Functions Menu) work as expected in an XTerm.

(5. One last, and possibly unrelated piece of data:  twm (the window
manager that comes with XFree86)  fails with a segmentation fault. )

Is it possible that XTerm pasting has been disabled in some
configuration
file?  Where would I look? Or better,  what text can I put in what file
to enable pasting?  I've grepped through the resource files I know
about  and have found no reference any funny business with XTerm and
Btn2Up or Insert.

Version info:
I have installed XFree86 4.1.99.1 on Mac OS X version 10.1 (XDarwin
1.0a1).
The command
% xterm -v
gives