Hi Adam!

>   I am having the exact same problem with firing up an LCD in 1400x1050
> with HP Pavilion N5495 and the Intel 830MG chipset. It seems as though
> i810 driver completely ignores any ModeLines passed to it, and insists
> on using VESA modes. Is that right? If so is it possible to change this
> behaviour and fire it in 1400x1050 mode (which is a perfectly valid VESA
> mode BTW)?
>   If it's neccassary I am willing to do testing of the code.

You are correct about the i830 driver. The problem is that the BIOS for the
830 chipset is pretty much broken in many ways. One of the problems is that
when you do a mode set and specify the ModeInfoBlock structure so that you
can set non-VESA modes, it completely ignores it. In fact, it's so broken
that you have to set 60Hz modes (the others don't work) and then switch to
other refresh rates using another BIOS call. Unfortunately that allows you
to only set 56, 60, 70, 72, 75, 85, 100, 120, and 43 Hz interlaced. The
resolutions is also limited to VESA modes.

All of this can be solved by not using the BIOS to set modes, but Intel (who
sponsored the development of the 830M driver) discourages that approach.

In answer to your 1400x1050 question: The 830 Video BIOS doesn't support
1400x1050. I just looked through the data sheet again, so you're out of luck
there.

--

Regards
 Abraham

Hors d'oeuvres -- a ham sandwich cut into forty pieces.
                -- Jack Benny

 Abraham vd Merwe - 2d3D, Inc.

 Device Driver Development, Outsourcing, Embedded Systems

  Cell: +27 82 565 4451         Snailmail:
   Tel: +27 21 761 7549            Block C, Antree Park
   Fax: +27 21 761 7648            Doncaster Road
 Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]         Kenilworth, 7700
  Http: http://www.2d3d.com        South Africa

PGP signature