On Tue, 23 Oct 2001, Mark Vojkovich wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Oct 2001, Matt Wilbur wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Does anyone know if there's plans to make pseudocolor visuals available in
> > modes > 8 bit?  We're saddled with some grotty old apps (saoimage, for
> > one) that still work great, provided you display them to an X server that
> > supports pseudocolor visuals in 24 bit mode... but that excludes XFree86
> > currently.  IRIX's X server and Exceed7 on LoseNT boxes seem to do OK, and
> > it looks like AccelX claims to, but we'd sure like to do this on XFree..
>
>    I don't know that there are any plans to hack this.  It's not
> worth the effort in my opinion.  It's a mess and the problems are
> with the apps, not the server.  It's a TrueColor world.

Doesn't the RandR extension give us multiple simultaneous depths ?
Matt, only a few drivers support it so far (check the archives for which
ones). IIRC one of the generic drivers does work, so you can run the
extendision on most cards, if you don't mind loosing acceleration.

While I don't know of any plans, and I agree that the app is indeed the
problem, I think the hack to implement PseudoColor on DirectColor should
not be too hard - at depth 24 the two visuals are just different ways of
interpreting the colormap.
I have thought of adding this to xnest, so that it would be available
to every driver, but not get in the way of ordinary users - once
you use pseudocolor you will see why most people are better off without
it.

--
Dr. Andrew C. Aitchison         Computer Officer, DPMMS, Cambridge
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~werdna