On Fri, 26 Oct 2001, Ryan Cooley wrote:

> I have three quick suggestions for future XFree86 features (All
> Related).
>
> 1.  Allow the user to have a persistant or non-persistant desktop. I.E.
> The user can login, run some applications, logout, let other users
> login on the same machine, and when the user logs in again, all his
> applications will not have stopped running.  This could be done as a
> log-out option (Persistant/Normal Exit) or selectivly (an "xnohup"
> application for instance).  This has been one of the advantages of VNC
> for some time, however, VNC is not much use locally.
>
> 2.  Have some standard way of tranfering windows from one session to
> another.  Now, I start some apps on my home system remotely, and have
> to use the VNC viewer to use those running apps even when I'm on the
> same machine.

Why should we reinvent the wheel ?
Although I haven't used it, I believe that VNC is a good solution
to this problem.

> 3.  Have multiple GUIs runing on one machine.  This way, multiple users
> can be logged in, and switched between with Ctrl+Alt+F*.  This feature
> is really not needed much if #1 is implimented.

With these two lines:
        :0 local /usr/X11R6-v4/bin/X
        :1 local /usr/X11R6-v4/bin/X :1
in my /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers file I get two GUI logins, on
Ctrl+Alt+F7 and Ctrl+Alt+F8.
I guess that kdm and gdm will have similar magic.

Running multiple instances of X on one card is known to have
problems on some cards - I810 for instance.

--
Dr. Andrew C. Aitchison         Computer Officer, DPMMS, Cambridge
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~werdna