I got my Radeon working on an Irongate (AMD-751 chipset) system using
the patched xfree86 from debian/unstable.  It's all 3D accellerated and
AGP'd using this config (excerpt):

Section "Module"
    Load "GLcore"
    Load "dri"
    Load "dbe"

    SubSection "extmod"
      Option "omit xfree86-dga"   # don't initialise the DGA extension
    EndSubSection

    Load "type1"
    Load "freetype"
    Load "glx"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "RADEON"
    Driver      "radeon"
    Option     "AGPMode" "2"
    VideoRam    65535
EndSection

So why am I posting?   Because about 50% of the time when I log out of
my gdm session my machine locks up.  Since it never locks up when I
force gdm to quit, I am guessing it is during the restart sequence.
 Does anyone have a workaround other  "don't use gdm" to keep this from
happening?   Or alternatively, is this going to be fixed any time soon?