Regarding my previous post, same subject, I believe I can make my question
a bit more pointed.

To recap, system is Ultra10, Creator 3D video card, GDB-20E20 monitor.
  1. Under Solaris 8, X honors DPMS (power management) requests through
     xset, and does blank screen, then turn monitor off.  It seems to
     bypass the standby mode change.

  2. Under Linux, XFree86 4.0.2, the driver, sunffb, claims 'DPMS is not
     used'; a quick glance at the source shows that DPMS support is
     completely absent. (I.e., no DPMS is not a bug, it's an intentional
     "feature.")

So, my real question is why this should be, given that Solaris shows the
support is possible; the support is turned on by configuration option, so
if you don't want to use it or if you can't use it you don't activate it;
and nothing I can find indicates why there is a reason not to do it.  (So
why don't I quit whining & just get on with implementing it for myself?
Because I've already said more than I know about how to drive a video
card.)

Does anyone know the status and plans for the sunffb driver?

Thanks again,
Ferris

--
Ferris E. McCormick (P44646, MI) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Phone:  (h)   703-368-6723