On Sat, 3 Nov 2001, Henrik Nordström wrote:

>Upgrading to the main trunk provided to be messier than expected due to the
>relatively large amount of X patches RedHat uses and me having upgraded
>automake, but I backported what looked like relevant portions of the main
>trunk trident driver to 4.1 and it now works flawlessly! Good job!

Well, I do have the option of disabling all of those patches, and
shipping a buggier XFree86 release, if that would be better for
people.  ;o)

In other words, the patches that are applied to XFree86 as
shipped with Red Hat Linux, are mostly bug fixes that have not
been applied to the current XFree86 stable source code base.
Some of the patches are backported fixes from the CVS head, so
that users do not have to wait until the next release of XFree86
(4.2.0) in order to get fixes.  Other patches are bug fixes that
have been submitted to XFree86, but are not yet merged into the
main source code base, or are not merged into the stable branch.
I have tried to document each patch clearly in the XFree86.spec
file to show the origins of a given patch, and the reason for its
inclusion.

When updating the main source code tarball to a CVS release, etc.
you will find many patches will barf when they get applied.  Some
of those patches may or may not be necessary still.  Many are no
longer needed, some need to be massaged by hand to fit into the
new source code base, etc.

It's all part of the fun.  ;o)  By the way, since people are
likely to be asking soon - I have now got XFree86-4.1.99.2 in RPM
format, from a checkout 2 days ago.  It is not yet ready for
public consumption, but I am working on resolving the nastiest
problems right now.

Once I am confident that releasing it is not going to flood my
email inbox with help questions and problem reports, and that
bugzilla isn't going to get flooded with new reports also, I will
drop it into Rawhide, and put it on my ftp site.  I'll also make
the announcement on [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I'm hoping to have this done as soon as possible, but no promises
or ETA's.  ;o)   Also planned, are weekly or daily CVS snapshots
available in RPM format.  I can't wait to get that rolling.

Take care,
TTYL

General open IRC discussion:    #xfree86 on irc.openprojects.org