Hello All,

I am trying to learn xlib programming and have had a significant amount
of success up until now. I'm trying to draw across the screen using
XDrawLine and XDrawRectangle to get a similiar effect as WindowMakers
rubberband or most window manager resizing features. The graphics
context I am using sets the subwindow_mode to IncludeInferiors and it
uses the function of GXinvert using the root window as the drawable.

The problem is that after I draw the rectangle, it leaves the rectangle
drawn on the root window and any other window until another window
covers it up. I can get the rootwindow back to normal by calling
XClearWindow on it, but that is slow and I am sure it is not proper way
to do this. XClearWindow doesn't have any effect on other windows like
xterm's and the like.

I have a feeling this is a silly newbie question, but any help would be
great because I haven't been able to find a solution in any man pages of
docs so far.

Thanks.
Ted