>    The root window isn't just another window.  It's the root
> window - the desktop.
    I'm sorry, but I still don't understand. If I have an one-window
application, that makes sense: the root of the only window is of course the
desktop.
    But what if I have an multi-windowed application, with dialog windows
and stuff? The root of a dialog windows is going to be another window and
not the desktop. And then what's the point, for XQueryPointer(...) to return
in the argument 'root_return' the root of the window (the 'w' argument) the
pointer is in, if that is always the desktop?
    Sorry again to babble on on this subject, but I want to get it straight.

Dany.