Hi all,

I recently ported Linux 2.4.12 & XFree 4.1 onto an developement
platform for an ARM9 processor. I am using an good'old Matrox
Millenium (4MB!!) PCI and the correspondent matrox framebuffer
driver statically compiled into the kernel.

Then I cross compiled Xfbdev from the actual tar-ball. When I
boot the machine with:  "video=matrox:vesa:0x114"
I can run Xfbdev rigth away and it starts with 800x600x16.

But if I start in the default mode (640x480x8) and do an
"fbset -a 800x600x16" before starting Xfbdev the upcomming
X is totally corrupted (wrong memory layout??) while all other
(text) virtual terminals switch correctly to the new mode.

Xfbdev -screen 800x600x16 does not help, in fact Xfbdev does
not seem to be at all interested in the screen parameter!
It seems to me that fbset is changing the mode correctly but
Xfbdev is not informed about any changes since boot time.

Does anybody know what is happening here?

Thank you in advance,

        Dirk

P.S.: The mode "800x600x16" is in my /etc/fb.modes and contain exactly
the parameters of the above mentioned vesa mode 0x114.