On Thu, 15 Nov 2001, Bruce Kall wrote:

> How can I get XFree to offer me a PseudoColor 8bit visual
> when I startup X with a DefaultDepth of 24?  On my Sun,
> it will offer a PseudoColor visual when in 24 bit mode,
> but XFree (at least by default) on my RH7.1 box
> does not offer a PseudoColor
> visual when you start up in 16, 24 or 32 bit DefaultDepth.
>
> (Note: This is so I can run an older application that will
> only run under a PseudoColor visual). I'm running 4.0.3.

Have you looked in the archives ?
If you have  a Matrox card (or a 3Dlabs Oxygen, or a #99 card)
use the "Overlay" option in the device section of your config file.

If not you can't. I have half an idea how to implement 8bit Pseudo
on most 24bit cards, but I'm not even going to start looking at it
until 4.2.0 is out.

--
Dr. Andrew C. Aitchison         Computer Officer, DPMMS, Cambridge
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~werdna