On Sun, 18 Nov 2001 01:43:56 +0800
Jason Wong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > :) As you say, previously you could click the right button at a
> > >
> > > leisurely pace and still have it registered as the 3rd button. I'm
> > > going to try making the timeout value larger.
> >
> > Here's the problem with that. Strangely the Emulate3Timeout *also*
> > affects the initial swiping delay. Meaning when you move the cursor
> > to some location and depress the left mouse button it will wait
> > Emulate3Timeout before starting to highlight text. Of course by then,
> > you have moved the cursor already so it fails to highligh the first
> > couple of words. You have to wait 200ms and then start to swipe which
> > is completely useless. The bottom line is that *Emulate2Buttons on
> > Enigma is broken* (well, I guess 2 data points is not statistically
> > significant but we don't even have the same hardware).
>
> Hmm, I just tried increasing the timeout to 200ms and I understand what
> you mean by the delay when trying to highlight some text. It does
> render it pretty unusable. Something is seriously broken with XFree86
> 4.1.0.

Actually, I was using 4.1 on RH 6.2 and it worked fine. It's either the
XFree code for kernel 2.4 or changes made for Enigma that's causing the
problem (I think it's the former).

Get yourself a mouse with more than 2 buttons for Christmas! You know
if you have one of those MS wheel ones that counts as a button (the only
good product Microsoft makes :~).

Xpert's,

Emulate3Buttons is borken on RH 7.2 (XFree 4.1.0 w/ heavily patched
kernel 2.4.7). You used to be able to depress one button and then at
your leasure hit the other to paste the buffer. No longer. Now both
buttons must be depressed within Emulate3Timeout. The problem with that
is described above. See the Enigma list for the full thread.

Thanks,
Mike