On Fri, 23 Nov 2001 16:33:38 +0100, Heiko Caspers wrote:

> Hello,
> I'm not sure, if i'm right here, but i have an problem:
>
> Ich have two (or more) computers with XFree and I want to build an
> Multihead-Display with ALL Computers.
> Currently I use x2x, to move my mouse from the one display to the other,
> but this is not, what i want to, because
> you can not move windows between two or more displays.
>
> And now my question:
> Is there any possibility, to solve this problem ?
> And if not, can someone write an virtual display driver, which don't use
> the graphic card, but an already running xserver
> or an existing XDISPLAY ?

        There are two programs which *probably* can help you.  They are
XMOVE and XMX.  Unfortunately, both of them have their limitations, since
to implement the "move between displays" functionality, the program must
be an "X display" in itself.  See docs for details.  XMOVE seems *way* too
limited, and XMX didn't build on Red Hat 7.1 (I simply gave up, but
probably an hour more spent on it would help).

        Making Xnest truly multidisplay- and Xinerama-aware seems to be
the easiest way.  The disadvantage is that Xnest will have to be started
after all "potentially target" displays are started, and occupy all of
them (that's only one problem caused by inflexibility of this approach).
Plus Xnest is, mmm..., a bit buggy.

        BTW, if somebody is brave enough to write a real "X interdisplay
mover", I'll be glad to help them as much as I can.  But one thing to keep
in mind is that Keith P. and Jim G. have some plans for implementing the
"migration" functionality (see
http://www.xfree86.org/~keithp/talks/randr/randr/), so it seems reasonable
to talk to them first.

XMOVE
    Pseudoserver to support mobile X11 clients
    ftp://ftp.cs.columbia.edu/pub/xmove/

XMX
    An X Protocol Multiplexor
    http://www.cs.brown.edu/software/xmx/