On Mon, 2001-12-03 at 08:51, Ani Joshi wrote:

> On 2 Dec 2001, Michel [ISO-8859-1] Dänzer wrote:
>
> > Absolutely. /usr/include/{linux,asm} shouldn't be symlinks but
> > directories shipped with glibc.
>
> What?  glibc doesn't have those directories, those should *indeed* be
> symlinks to /usr/src/linux/include/linux and /usr/src/linux/include/asm
> respectively.

No. Read it up on lkml. Linus has spoken very clearly on the topic.

Someone who found it out the hard way posted here not so long ago.

> This is how most distro's do it (or at least used to do it).

Any distro that still does it is severely broken IMHO.

> Since when did glibc have those directories?

I don't know about upstream but the Debian libc6-dev package has shipped
them for as long as I've been using it.

PS: Of course anyone _can_ make them symlinks if they know what they're
doing. But you're on your own then.