hi there

I have a  (generic model) 333 MHz K6 laptop with a 1024x768 XGA screen run by
a S3/Virge 86E280 chip  (presumably an MX+MV) with 4MB sgram.    The laptop
runs Mandrake (currently 8.1).  I've been trying to get  v4.x.x  to work
since it came out (since I really want XRender for freetype on KDE), BUT it
has never worked.   However, 3.3.6 works just fine (minus the desired XRender
extensions of course)  with the SVGA driver.  I tried 4.1.0 yesterday, and it
also does not work.

The computer simply freezes.  During the install, it'll get to the configre
stage, but when it tries to see if it works, freezes.  Afterwards, it freezes
when trying Xconfigurator (or drakconf).   Nothing gets written to the logs,
and   startx    yields no output before everything hangs. Also tried writing
XF86Config by hand, also no go.

It has been more than a year, and I am frustrated.   I noticed discussions
off and on here, but it did not seem like a solution was reached.

or at least if it was, it was not obvious to me.
SO.....  does someone know how to fix/workaround this problem ??
Any wisdom would be GREATLY appreciated.

best regards,
marcello pavan