Hi,

Should be the most simple of questions, but for the life of me, I can't
figure it out.... : I have downloaded xfree68 into the xc directory with
`cvs co xc` successfully (head - 10 minutes ago). Now how should I build
it?

With the GNU packages you run ./configure, but there is no such thing here.

I read INSTALL-X.org, and there there are "Easy build instructions".

The first step seems to be to do something to site.def. Site.def attempts
to include host.def , and I tried to copy the one from the
programs/...../bindist/Linux-ix86/, but then it ended up needing
verison.def. I also tried 'cp site.sample site.def' and combinations of
linux.cf also.

Then the first command line I encounter is "make World". But the
xc/Makefile has no target called World, so regardless what I do to
site.def, this will never work with "make" at this point. I now _know_ I'm
missing something vital.

The "Complicated" build instructions start with talking about downloading
.tar files. I assume the I need the head revision to get support for my ATI
Radeon Mobility card on my non-linux-compliant laptop. (The whole idea), so
I have no tar files. I assume they contain the same as the xc CVS module.
The first command line mentioned is still make World, so it won't work
since World is still not in Makefile.

I noticed the Imakefile (I've never used imake) and the imake FAQ said
never to run imake directly but run xmkmf instead. xmkmf kept complaining
about not finding Imake.tmpl, and this is only found in the config/cf
directory, so I tried running xmkmf there. That didn't work either as it
ended up needing version.def. I have no idea what to put in it, so I tried
'touch version.def'. Now xmkmf finishes, but World is still not in
Makefile, nor in ../../Makefile.

What am I doing wrong? The whole purpose of imake (according to the FAQ) is
that it should make it real easy. What have I overlooked?

Peter