This is  a cautionary message.  Having  done what research  was available on
the web I  bought a Toshiba 1805-274 with  a Trident CyberBladeXP-T graphics
interface.  After I  took possession I discovered that some  (or all) of the
Trident CyberBladeXP graphics chips are not supported by XFree86.

Don't get  me wrong, I  really like everything  about the laptop  except the
failure  of  Trident  to  provide  sufficient information  on  the  graphics
interface to  permit the XFree86 organization  to produce a  driver which is
what is reported  in mail that resulted from my earlier  posts on this list.
Oh, and I am not that crazy  about the home version of Windoze XP which came
installed on the -274.

I think  that if you  are considering any  system with a late  model Trident
Chip, and you want to run  XFree carefully investigate the availability of a
driver, and do NOT believe other sources of information on the Web.

Before I bought the -274 I  believed the Trident interface is a CyberBladeXP
Ai1,  I have  been  told via  e-mail  that the  chip  is a  CyberBladeXPm-T.
Whatever  the chip  actually  is, there  is  no current  driver in  XFree86,
versions <=  4.1, NS apparently little hope  that there will be  a driver in
time  for XFree  4.2, which  is due  out RSN.   On the  plus side  I applaud
Toshiba  for apparently  offering  to provide  a  system to  be  used i  the
development of an XFree according to late "news from the front."

dlg