Hi,

I had the same problem with an ASUS L8400L notebook with an ATI Radeon M6 LY
card. In fact your suggestion to compile Xfree 4.1.99 solved my problem. :-)

I just downloaded it with cvsup, as described at
        http://www.xfree86.org/cvs/

with the config file:
 *default release=cvs host=anoncvs.xfree86.org base=./xfree/4.1.99
   *default prefix=4.1.99
   *default compress
   *default tag=.
   xc-all
   doctools-all

After setting projectroot to /usr/local/X11R6  "make World" and "make
install" did the job.

Configuring will be distribution dependent. Since I am using Debian GNU Linux
(woody) I only had to replace the link "/usr/bin/X11" to point to the
/usr/local/X11R6/bin" directory. Afterwards a "X -probeonly" and "startx
/usr/bin/kde2"  worked as usual. This may be more complicated on other
distributions.

Configuration takes place as usual in "/etc/X11/XF86Config-4"  the ati module
works now.

Daniel

Daniel Faller
Fakultaet fuer Physik