"Dmitry Yu. Bolkhovityanov" wrote:

> On Sat, 08 Dec 2001 03:14:28 +0000, Bill wrote:
>
> >  I tried installing a G450 AGP in place of my Rage Pro in my desktop
> > machine at work recently, and was unable to get a picture from the
> > Matrox card.  It appeared from the server log that the driver couldn't
> > find the BIOS on the card.
> >
> >  I'm unable to make this the primary card as the BIOS in the machine
> > doesn't offer a choice of where to boot VGA from; it's always the PCI
> > card that comes up as primary video.

>         I'm currently running a machine with G450AGP+G450PCI, and the
> secondary card (no matter AGP or PCI) is always nonfunctional with
> XFree86 driver.  To solve the problem I had to use Matrox HAL module,
> which knows how to initialize the card itself.

 Hmm.

 I really want to avoid binary-only stuff if I can.  I was hoping I
might be able to fix it, or help someone else fix it.

>         Unfortunately, there are two bugs with HAL module.  First, after
> switching to console and back, the first screen of the secondary card
> isn't working (according to the monitor, there are some wrong clocks).
> Second, even with a single-card, the recent Matrox driver makes 2nd head
> jitter (or whatever the right term is).
>
>         I really hope that XFree86 support for recent Matrox cards becomes
> better, but as to now it seems that there is no maintainer for mga driver,
> and there was no reaction from Matrox.

 Yeah, I'm wishing I'd bought ATI now.  I probably will next time, if
they keep up their support for Linux / XFree.

 Still, the existing support for the G400 is pretty good, and Matrox
*have* employed someone to work on Linux specifically, so it's not that
bad I guess.  I do like the card, the 2D acceleration is fast, and the
3D is fast as long as the CPU is up to doing the T&L.  Very sharp
images too.

 I would really prefer to try and get the support for the Matrox sorted
out for now because I'm fairly happy with the one I have here and the
one I have at work was given to me, so it cost me a lot less than a new
card would :o)

--
/* Bill Crawford, Unix Systems Developer, ebOne, formerly GTS Netcom */
#include "stddiscl.h"