<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote,

> I am running the new dell latitude c400, which uses an i830M
> chipset for graphics support. So far I have compiled and
> installed the latest 2.4.17 kernel, and downloaded the most
> recent cvs development tree for xfree86.
[..]
> I also have vesafb compiled into the kernel, and I have it
> fine. Any attempts to run the vesafb at resolutions higher then
> 1024x768x8bpp, such as lets say.. 1024x768x24bpp, are met with
> "invalid mode" as soon as the kernel attempts load. I am assuming
> this is because the kernel is detecting only 1024k~ or less video memory.

I have exactly the same problem.

> Notice the Bad V_BIOS checksum, and "1024k stolen memory" in the
> output below. Does this have any influence on the problem?

My current theory is that this is what causes the problem
(as I have posted a couple of days ago on this mailing
list).  If this is so, it may actually be a problem that has
to be resolved during boot time and not when X is started,
but I don't know for sure.

You may want to have a look at

  http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~chak/linux/c400.html

Manuel