Hello,

I have serious problems to configure X11 on an IBM Thinkpad 760EL with a
TRIDENT Cyber 9320 rev. 227 video card, and a 12" DSTN display,
manufactured in 1997.

I cannot find a good /etc/X11/XF86Config, even in VGA16 640x480.

The fonts are awful and bigs and the screen seems to be virtual (but I
cannot move it) ! I need to use GNU/Emacs + LaTeX, with xdvi, ,
Ghostview and so on : impossible to work with this kind of X display...
:-(

Since two weeks, I have tested dozens of XF86Config for the Thinkpad
760EL and 535E (same video card) founded on the Internet, but there no
config which works.

In fact, in 800x600 I have a black screen with two horizontal yellow
lines : I guess this is dangerous for my display so I
"Ctrl-Altr-Backspace" immediatly when I see it.

I use Linux since 1998 and i believe I have a fairly good experience in
installing it, XFree included. But here, this is really really
problematic !

I have buyed this laptop to use Linux only, and I must admit that now
I'm near to give up and sell back this Thinkpad...

I used XFree 3.3.6, 4.0.1, 4.1.0 with Slackware 7.1, Slackware 8.0,
Mandrake 7.2, and Mandrake 8.1.

What is the secret to have a 640x480 16 colors scrren with "normal"
fonts ?

Thanks in advance for help.

D.