In XFree86 CVS, the vesa driver appears to be doing portIO
to legacy vga registers.  This makes things complicated because
these registers are shared between the primary and secondary
cards, and it places a large burden upon XFree86's RAC code
to make sure these registers are routed to the correct card
at the correct time.

  My guess is that either the RAC code didn't handle this correctly
back in 4.0.2 or the vesa driver was doing something that
it shouldn't.  The corruption you are describing actually
sounds like the vesa driver tried to restore the console
fonts, something it shouldn't have done if it was the
secondary card.  Actually, looking at the vesa driver in
CVS it's not immediately obvious to me that it isn't trying
to restore the fonts on secondary cards.  These are stored
in the first 64K or so of the framebuffer.  If you've built
from source you could try commenting the font restoration
stuff out in the vesa driver to make sure it's not doing that.

   If you have an option in your system bios to switch
which card is the primary, you might try that.  Both the
"nv" and "nvidia" drivers should work OK on secondary
cards, but with the "nvidia" drivers you may need to be
running the very latest drivers and may need option "UseInt10Module"
to get it to post properly.

   I don't know why 4.1.0 isn't working for you.  Was that only
when trying with a two card setup?

                                Mark.