On Fri, 4 Jan 2002, greg wright wrote:

> I just did this too, MMX only though. How many cycles/pixel did you
> end up with? What percentage of pairing did you achieve?
Note that only P5-core chips care about pairing, per-se.  There are much
nastier issues involved in modern P6 cores.  I haven't thought about them
for quite a while, so it'd take me a while to dig out the stuff and put it
back into main memory, but I think I have a pretty good understanding of
how the P6 really works...

> there are plenty of samples of this on Intel's site.
Unfortunately that just isn't very useful outside Intel's world.  There
are about a half-dozen manufacturers of x86 chips that matter, and they
all have all sortsof bizarre quirks.  I ran across a sourceforge project a
few days ago (x86info I think) that tries to deal with that, but I didn't
look at the code.

There's a larger issue when it comes to other architectures.  There are
similar but in some cases nastier problems on things like PPC and Alpha.
This is why I want to gather all this into a single library.  It would go
closely with my other projects, SpeciaLib and libcodec, which focus on
run-time specialization of time-critical kernels, such as the
motion-compensation code in an MPEG decoder, or color-space
conversion/transliterations, etc. (as in the 4:2:0 to 4:2:2 problem).

You can see a lot of this stuff at http://codecs.org/, though specialib
itself isn't there because it's not anywhere near formed enough for CVS.

      Erik Walthinsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> - System Administrator
        __
      _\  /_