On  5 Jan, Kenneth Crudup wrote:
> On Sat, 5 Jan 2002 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>> I've lost track of which chip you are dealing with.
>
> S3 Virge MX.
>
>> For the R128 chip I found that the DPMS only shuts down video output.
>
> I'd expect that, but I was under the impression that there was code
> specifically for the MX (an LCD-specific chip) that could shut down
> the associated backlight, too.

Not in the Xfree driver for R128.  The DPMS code shuts down the CRTC.
This certainly shuts down video, but it has nothing special for LCD.  If
the MX or LCD electronics uses video shutdown to trigger LCD shutdown
the same way that the CRT does, then the LCD will shut down.  If not,
then it will stay on.

The change that I made was to add code that instructs the R128 to enter
and exit S3 state when DPMS enters and exits shutdown mode.  I do not
know everything that it does for S3 state, but it is more than just
shutting down the CRTC.

R Horn