Hi,

I use Toshiba Portege 4000 which has a Trident CyberBlade XP/Ai (or
something like that) graphics chip that works only with the vesa driver in
XFree86 4.1.0. It works fine with the internal TFT display. However, when
I define my external monitor in the XF86Config with the correct refresh
ranges, X doesn't go for higher rates than 60 Hz. I know my monitor can do
at least 85 Hz at 1024x768 resolution, and it works fine with my desktop
computer. Is there something wrong with the vesa driver or my laptop?

I can manually insert modes in the monitor section in the config file but
when I force it to use any of those modes it always goes to 1280x1024
resolution with 87 Hz, even when the modeline says for example 1024x768
resolution and 76 Hz...

Now am I seriously stupid or is there something seriously wrong?

BR,
Teemu