I'm about to do an upgrade on my desktop machine and need to pick a video card.

What would people recommend for a dual screen (one CRT, one flat TFT now, perhaps
two TFTs later) under Linux?

Additional info:

There will be plenty of CPU and RAM in the machine.

For my eyes, on screens I can afford, resolutions beyond 1400*1050 or so are
not useful.

Applications are mostly web, text editing, testing, some DVDs ... Some gaming,
likely Win4lin. No video editing or 3D simulation.

I'd prefer an Open Source driver, but would be prepared to pay for one
of the commercial accelerated X packages if that gets features I cannot
otherwise have. I regard using a binary driver from a card vendor as a
last resort.