On Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 03:27:23PM +0100, Thomas Steffen wrote:
> Well, I would advise you to get a recent kernel and XFree86 4.2. There
> is a good chance that it will solve your problems.

The kernel shouldn't matter much unless he's wanting to use DRI/DRM,
right?  (Not that I don't agree about upgrading his kernel)

> There is a known bug in Athlon/Duron processors to be fixed in kernel
> 2.4.18, which may or may not affect you.

Specifically, it affects kernels compiled with pentium optimizations
running on Athlon/Durons.  if this affects you, you can fix it temporarily
by appending 'mem=nopentium' to your append string in lilo.conf (if you
use lilo, of course)

> > The release notes from RedHat for 7.1 specifically state that
> > dual-head operation for the G450 is not supported. Is there anything
> > special required to prevent these crashes? Has XFree86 4.1 dealt
> > with this problem?

I definitely use the G450 with DH under 4.1, among many many other people,
so yes I'd say so.

nate