On Mit, 2002-01-30 at 10:32, Vladimir Dergachev wrote:

> On 30 Jan 2002, Michel [ISO-8859-1] Dänzer wrote:
>
> > > Btw, while I've been sleeping I thought how we could get CCE support into
> > > Xvideo. The thing I am really against is duplicating code for case with
> > > CCE  and without.
> >
> > Very much agreed. Eliminating that would also do the 2D acceleration
> > much good, where a lot of functions are exact duplicates for both cases.
> >
> > > So, I thought, what about having "Software CCE" ? I.e. always use CCE
> > > commands except that in case when dri driver is not availabe emulate
> > > it. I am fairly certain emulating indirect buffer and 2d commands
> > > would be pretty easy.

I'm not sure it's so easy BTW. Have you looked at what CCE commands are
available? I wouldn't want to implement a software emulation, but if you
want to, have fun. :)

> > I think that's taking it too far (CCE commands are mostly normal
> > register writes or complex commands which can be hard to translate into
> > normal register access), but R128WaitForFifo() and OUTREG() shouldn't be
> > hard to modify such that they use BEGIN_RING(), OUT_RING_REG() and
> > ADVANCE_RING() for the CCE case?
> >

> Yes, but I would much rather have everything look like CCE, but use
> OUTREG/INREG when not available. The reason is that
>
>   a) CCE is really the perfomance case
>   b) It might turn out that emulating CCE in software is faster then usual
>      OUTREGs

How? The CCE doesn't do anything besides programming registers, does it?

>   c) This paves the way for PIO 3d support (i.e. when DMA is not available
>      for some reason)

Why would one want that? No DMA means no DRM means no DRI.

>   d) this sounds cool
>   e) provides reference implementation.. to check cce behaviour against

I don't see the use of this either.

>   f) the real problem is not outregs in the code, but INREGs - we'll need
>      to make them CCE aware anyways

Are you sure that's a problem at all? IIRC the DRM code reads registers
without special precautions about the CCE, but I don't have time to
check right now.

>   g) CCE code is actually _cleaner_ than OUTREGs. I know I looked.

I know I've written some. :)