On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 03:15:53PM -0500, Vladimir Dergachev wrote:
> I completely agree with you.. but I did not give you details :))
>
> What happens is that if you try to use older drm driver with GATOS 2d
> driver the GATOS driver will notice and complain. But if you use GATOS drm
> driver with older 4.2.0 2d driver you will get a lockup.
>
> The reason is that the changes involve programming Radeon's memory
> controller to place AGP aperture after the end of the framebuffer and not
> at the start of PCI space as it is done currently. Both 2d driver and drm
> driver have to agree on this - which is why a bump in major version is
> necessary.
>
> The reason I did not do it is that the mesa driver checks major version as
> well. Hence it will complain if it is bumped. Since I did not want to open
> a new CVS module just for changing version in mesa driver I decided to go
> the "slightly" broken way under assumption that few people with install
> GATOS drm-kernel but will forget to install GATOS 2d driver.
>
> Does this make sense ?

Sure does, but it sounds like we could change the Mesa drivers to have the
same behavior as the GATOS drivers. If they see version x.y they use the
old offset for AGP and if they see x.y+1 they use the new one. This
would be much better than bumping the major version number.

I may be glossing over details, in fact I probably am, but putting some
effort into this is probably required if we want to be good Linux citizens.

                                            - |Daryll