I was wondering how X knows when you click on an icon or an application, what
was actually clicked, for lack of better words.  I am in a Calculs 3 class in
college and we are working on Vectors in 2D and 3D.  I was wondering how X
knows when you click on a certain icon, what application should it run.  I was
guessing that since X knows the coordinate of the cursor and the coordinate area
of the icon, that when you click within that area, it runs the application
associated with that area.  I was also guessing that X uses the vector to the
cursor and that it knows the vectors that correspond to that icon, so therefor
knows the application to use.  In either case, I was wanting to look at that
section of the code and see how it did it.  I am a novice programmer with
limited programming experiance with C/C++, Perl, and sh.  I appreciate any help

Thanks

Bob