I have an HP laptop equipped with a i830MG chipset and a
native SXGA+ (1400x1050) TFT display.

There seems to be a problem in both Windows and Linux to
display lower resolution full screen. When configuring
XFree86 (4.2.0 and i810 driver) with 1024x768 for example,
there is a huge black border surrounding my usable central
screen area.

I saw similar posts from Windows users and the problem
seems to be a combination a BIOS feature and OS features.

Does anybody know how to stretch the display when using
lower than native resolutions?

Additionally, this chip does not seem to like to switch
back and forth between text and graphic mode which forced
my to configure my console to run in graphic mode (vesafb
withy vga=0x317 for 1024x768x16). Does anybody know if there
is a code to pass to the kernel to set the console in
1400x1050 resolution ?

Thanks.

Louis LABORDE