 > So it seems some change to the accel code that occured between
 > 4.1.0 and 4.2.0 is overwriting the hardware mouse cursor image in
 > video memory.  That's my best guess anyway.  Any comments from
 > someone who has worked on the code previously would be greatly
 > appreciated.

Look at sis530_accel.c, locate the line:
topFB = (pSiS->maxxfbmem >= pSiS->FbMapSize - offset) ?
change the ">=" to "<"

 > (--) SIS(0): Unofficial driver (16.01.02) by Thomas Winischhofer
 >
 > When looking at the source code for the driver I see:
 >
 >     /* TW: ---EGBERT: Remove this before committing !*/
 >     xf86DrvMsg(pScrn->scrnIndex, X_PROBED,
 >            "Unofficial driver (16.01.02) by Thomas Winischhofer\n");
 >

 > So those lines should probably be removed from sis_driver.c and
 > committed to xf-4_2-branch and head also.  Might even be a good
 > idea to have Thomas just not include such string at all.  If the
 > purpose is to distinguish between official XFree86 driver
 > releases and non official, it isn't doing well.  ;o)

Indeed I didn't notice this line in the rush to get this driver
out. This can happen - can't it?

 > Another minor issue:
 > With swcursor enabled, and the problem gone, the output of the X
 > server shows:
 >
 > (==) SIS(0): Silken mouse enabled
 > (II) SIS(0): direct rendering disabled
 > (WW) SIS(0): Option "swsursor" is not used
 > (II) Setting vga for screen 0.
 > (II) Initializing built-in extension MIT-SHM
 >
 > So it says swcursor is used, then later that it isn't used.  I
 > couldn't find anywhere in the entire source tree under Xserver
 > with a quick grep that displays the string with the warning, or
 > anything close to it, which was odd.  I presume whatever it is,
 > it builds up the string.  I looked in the code and found the
 > logic that looks for HWcursoe/SWcursor options is setting
 > HWcursor variable internally and not the swcursor variable.  My
 > guess without further examination, is that the driver is only
 > setting the HWcursor variable, and leaving SWcursor variable
 > uninitialized, so when it later prints the various options that
 > are unset - swcursor shows as unset.  A patch is attached which
 > attempts to fix that minor issue, but is untested.

There is a very simple answer:
The driver doesn't know an option "swsursor" only "swcursor".

 > Another thing I noticed is:
 >
 > (--) SIS(0): Video BIOS version ĖVer  1 detected
 >                                 ^^^^

This is a string returned by the BIOS.
As this part of the code works well for almost
everybody else I suspect that the driver doesn't
stick to the  VESA conventions.
If anybody feels bothered he/she should complain to
the BIOS Vendor.

Egbert.